The Commons began debating the NHS & Social Care Commission today - with all-party support!
Former Health Minister the Rt Hon Norman Lamb MP proposed the bill - and mentioned NHS Survival in his opening lines! You can read or listen (12:36) to his speech online.
MPs from all sides of the Commons are supporting it - including the Green MP Caroline Lucas, Labour MPs Ivan Lewis and Graham Allen, Conservative doctors MPs Dr Andrew Murrison and Dr Phillip Lee.
Other signing MPs include DUP MP Jim Shannon and SDLP Mark Durkan. Lib Dem MPs Tim Farron, Tom Brake, Nick Clegg, and Alistair Carmichael also signed the motion. Former Labour MP Alan Milburn and former Conservative MP Stephen Dorrell (who is also NHS Confederation Chair) have also backed the call. The next stage towards passing a Bill into Law is a debate on 11th March.
Other key supporters:
- The Royal College of Surgeons expressed support saying ‘An independent cross-party commission would allow these issues to be scrutinised and solutions aired. For the sake of patients this long overdue debate with the public has to happen now.'
- Prof Sir John Oldham, Adjunct Professor of Global Health Innovation at Imperial College, London, gave his full support.
- Sense Deafblind charity backed the call.
- Think Local Act Personal partnership also backed the call.
This is an amazing achievement.
But it needs more support from MP's to get enough debating time on 11th Mar!
HOW CAN I HELP?
- Want to thank the MP’s for their support?
Tweet and thank them: @normanlamb @carolinelucas @ivanlewis_MP @grahamallenmp @alanmilburn1958 and use the hashtag #nhscommission
- Please tweet a message to your MP (and to key Ministers/Shadow Ministers @jeremy_hunt, @heidi_mp, @gwynnemp and @keeleymp) and ask them to continue to support the NHS & Social Care Commission Bill in its next stage #nhscommission. You can find your local MP's Twitter name here.
- Quickly write to your MP at WritetoThem or adapt our template letter.
- Don’t forget to sign our petition.